Election of the Board of Directors is conducted annually at LGAA's annual general meeting (AGM).
In 2021, members adopted a new Bylaw, which sets out new rules including:
- Zone Directors are now elected at the AGM.
- All Board Directors now serve a two-year term.
The next election will take place in 2023 where the following positions will be up for election:
- 1st Vice President
- Zone 1 Director
- Zone 3 Director
- Zone 5 Director
Responsibilities and Time Commitment
The Board of Directors is responsible to provide governance and strategic direction for LGAA’s delivery of programs and services to support the professional development interests of members. The Board also represents the interests of Alberta’s municipal administrators in any consultations by the Government of Alberta or other stakeholders.
The Board typically meets 4-5 times per year with most meetings conducted online. Meetings are typically two hours in length except for an annual full-day meeting that is held in person. Board directors may also volunteer to serve on stakeholder committees or attend consultations by the Government of Alberta. Some Board positions will involve additional time commitments including, but not limited to:
- The President and Vice President positions serve on the Executive Committee and can expect to meet 2-4 times per year to guide association business.
- The President can expect additional hours due to their role as the official spokesperson for the association and related work with the Executive Director to guide association business.
- The 1st Vice President shall serve as the Chair of the Conference Committee, which typically involves monthly meetings for the eight months leading up to the annual Conference.
- Each Zone Director shall advise the Executive Director in the planning and delivery of at least one regional meeting in their zone each year.
This is a volunteer role with no remuneration. Any eligible costs incurred for LGAA business will be covered by LGAA.
Eligibility for Election
To be eligible to stand for election, candidates must be a Regular Member or Life Member in good standing as defined by sections 1.2 and 1.4 of LGAA’s Membership Policy 23-2021. If you are not sure of your membership class, please contact us.
Individuals seeking office for a Zone Director position must be employed in that Zone. Check our zone listing to clarify your zone.
If you are interested in serving on the Board, we will send out a communication to all members in 2023 with details on the election timing and process.
If you have questions about serving on the Board, please contact any of the current Board Directors or email us.